Google encourages businesses to ‘SEO’ their businesses and provides some very useful tools to assist with better optimizing their web presences for the Google search engine. Two main tools provided by Google are Google Analytics (GA) and Google Webmaster Tools (GWT)- both of which are free to use.
While Google Analytics provides a detailed overview of the traffic a website receives and the browsing behaviour of these visitors, Google Webmaster Tools provides more advanced details about various important elements of SEO- such as backlinks, crawling, user experience and how search engines see your site.
What Does Google Analytics Tell You?
Google analytics provides information about many elements which include:
- The amount of traffic coming to the site
- Where it is coming from
- Which devices are being used to browse the site
- How much time visitors spend on your site
- How many pages they are browsing
- Which pages are popular
- What is the bounce rate
- What is the conversion rate of an ecommerce site
What Do Google Webmaster Tools Tell You?
On the other hand, Google Webmaster Tools provide details about elements such as
- Queries your visitors used to reach your site
- What is your average position for a keyword
- How many impressions your site is getting in search results
- How many clicks your site is getting
- What is the CTR
- Total number of the back links
- Top linking domains
- What linking or anchor text they are using
- Internal links
- Mobile usability of the website
- How many pages are indexed by Google
- Top keywords your site is using
- Any crawling errors
- How often Google is crawling your site
- Robots.txt testing
- XML sitemap submission
What Happens If I don’t Use These Tools?
Without using these tools, your SEO efforts will be greatly affected and you will miss some vital information for your online marketing success. So, if you are optimizing your website or hiring an SEO consultant to do an in-depth analysis, going through this useful information from GA and GWT will help you understand the current SEO health of your website and to find many new opportunities and some low hanging fruits.
Need Help with GA or GWT?
If you need help with setting up or analysing data from GA or GWT, you are welcome to contact us!