If your on-page SEO is spot-on, the traffic coming to your site will be more relevant and it will be staying longer on the site. On-page SEO is about creating quality content, having keywords on prominent places and improving user experience. In competitive markets, it’s almost impossible to rank without having every element of on-page SEO right.
On the other hand, Off-page SEO deals with winning links to your site from external resources.
Why On-page SEO is important
Quality, linkable and shareable content is at the core of on-page SEO. If you have quality content with keywords on the prominent places such as titles and headings, it will bring targeted traffic to the site which search engines want.
Enhanced user experience is an important element of on-page SEO. If you invest in user experience it not only benefits on-page SEO, it makes your site more magnetic for the visitors.
Elements of on-page SEO
The main elements of on-Page SEO include quality content, properly working website with good speed which is easily crawl-able by search engines.
Quality content is original, linkable and sharable, adds value and converts well into leads.
To fully optimize a web-page you should be incorporating keywords on these important places:
- Title tag – Title should be starting with the main keyword. It should be written in a way that it helps with converting searchers into traffic in search results. Keywords in title tag weight more than any other on-page SEO factor.
- Meta Description tag– Meta Description should summarize the page well, while having the main keywords in it. Meta description does not help with SEO directly, but having keyword in it can help with conversion in search results.
- URL– Should contain the main keyword. It is one the most important on-page SEO ranking factor.
- Most visible content – Keywords on most visible places such as headings, sub-headings, and bold text
- Main content – Keywords at least once at the start and end of the page’s main content
- Internal linking and surrounding content – keywords in linking or anchor text and its surrounding text
- Image alt tags– Keywords in image alt tags matter for SEO as well as accessibility of the website.
Avoid duplicate content as search engines have strong filter in place for duplicate content.
Your website should be fully functional on all devices and browsers; should load quickly and be updated frequently.
Your website should be fully indexable by search engines. You can ensure it by having a robots.txt file and XML sitemap on your site. Fully optimized schema markups can improve your visibility in search results.